Monday, May 14, 2012

Confessions of a Recovering Pharisee


I just learned something today standing in the bathroom of the library at 1:20am

You cannot love people if you do not respect them. It can't happen. True confessions: One thing I hate about London is the smoking, the 'chimneys' who walk around inconveniencing me. So I judge them, call them names as I walk by (in my head of course), make faces and try to make it obvious I don't approve, my silent protest. And you know the worst part? I think I'm clever, witty even. A girl from Azerbaijan just told me her story of how she started smoking and when I 'told' her to quit I felt the judgement all over my words, all over my face. We had a great conversation and I tried to share my faith but something was way off - no one said anything but I was convicted. So I'm learning, I can't walk around London calling people chimneys any more. Each person is an individual with a story, hers was romantic, a little sad... Cigarettes are for her a memory.

Guess it also kinda goes, you can't really love someone if you don't know them. That's why judging is so bad, you'll never get to know those you've judged.


No comments:

Post a Comment