Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Killer of dreams? Killer of dreams

It was when I read about the woman clutching her baby that was dragged from the wreckage of the Dana crash that I finally burst into tears. What do you say to the man who might have been waiting for his wife and baby at home?

There have been so many write-ups about the June 3 Dana Airlines crash; none can console the bereaved or bring back the dead. Even though the initial uproar is gone, may the families somehow remain comforted and given peace. More than that, the strength to make their own lives count.






I read an article on Bella Naija the day after the crash about a young man, Olu Onemola who received several prizes at City University of New York upon his graduation. As usual, vocal Nigerians had many comments to make but two in particular stood out to me and I've shared them below:

Anon.. June 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Story! Please dont come back home, they will kill your morale…Stay back. God bless America!

Princess June 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Pls stay in the States where ur academic excellence wud serve a greatand better purpose. Come to 9ja and the same cant be promised. You might end up dying an untimely death due to negligence. If u showed zu h intelligence in nigeria, u wudnt be recognised and the older cargos in high positions wud make sure u dnt grow so they can maintain their positions and probably pass it on to their uneducated siblings or family member. Im sure ur wise enough to know that Nigeria can kill a dream. The country dont care for its citizens, ask corpers who hv finished serving their so called country and are left unemployed with no govt support…!! Sad Much


I have no doubts that the majority of those who follow Bella Naija are young men and women so it made me very sad that we view our country as a killer of dreams. I don't blame for one second those who share this opinion, anyone that has gone through hardship because of a poor and non-supportive system would be the first to agree. It's difficult focusing on the positives when there are so many negative aspects to life in Nigeria, but the more I learn the more I realise there is nothing else one can do. Find the positive, set your goals and work, work, work. I'm a firm believer in all hard work bringing a profit, if not now, then sooner or later. Without that faith what's the point of trying? Where's the hope that things can change? I'll be back in Nigeria in 2 months, then the real test begins, God help a sister!

One of my favourite quotes by Zig Ziglar, it makes me laugh EVERY TIME because it's so true:

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”


I'm fighting to stay motivated, surrounding myself with people who are smarter than me and aspiring for greater things, enjoying every bit of goodness I get (be it sunshine in the midst of rain, a baby's smile or the taste of ice cream). 




May we find our dreams and work to keep them alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment